- This event has passed.
State Machines and Timed State Machines in VHDL: FPGA Implementation of RS232, SPI and I2C Serial Communication Protocols Course
March 22, 2022 @ 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Course Format: Live Webinar, 10 sessions, 1 hour per session
Times and Dates: 11AM (ET), March 22, 24, 29, 31, April 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21
- Introduction: State machines are used to characterize the behavior of digital electronic circuits. State machines are widely used in industrial applications. For instance, they are used in factories for control applications. State machines are also used in communication technology. It is essential for an electronic engineer to have knowledge of state machines and their practical implementations. In this course, we first provide information about state machines, and then teach the implementation of state machines in VHDL language. We use VIVADO platform for development, simulation and FPGA programming purposes. For practical applications, we implement serial communication protocols such as RS232, SPI, I2C in VHDL. We consider the VHDL implementation of SPI protocol for AD7303 device, and also we implement I2C protocol for ADT7420 Digital Temperature Sensor.
- Prerequisite: Basic knowledge of VHDL circuit design.
- State machines and Modeling of Mathematical and Physical Problems by State Machines
- Mealy and Moore State Machines
- VHDL Implementation of Finite State Machines, Example Implementations
- Timed State Machines and Their VHDL Implementations, Example Implementations
- RS232 Asynchronous Serial Communication and its VHDL Implementation
- Simulation of State Machines Using VIVADO
- Serial Peripheral Interface and Its VHDL Implementation
- Sine Signal Generation and SPI Protocol Development in VHDL for Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) AD7303
- Inter Integrated (I2C) Serial Communication Protocol and Its Implementation in VHDL
- VHDL Implementation of I2C Communication Between FPGA and ADT7420 Digital Temperature Sensor
Target Audience: Electronic and Communication Engineers, electronic engineers, computer engineers, engineers working in communication industry
Benefits of Attending Course:
1) The participant will learn about state machines.
2) The participant will learn how to implement state machines in VHDL.
3) The participant will learn how to implement timed state machines in VHDL.
4) The participant will gain knowledge about serial communication protocols, RS232, SPI, and I2C.
5) The participant will learn how to use SPI, I2C protocols in VHDL for practical electronic devices AD7303 (DAC) and for ADT7420 Digital Temperature Sensor.